Welcome To A New Way of Living
How it works
We believe that addiction is the greater enemy, and no matter how you recover, or what fellowship you follow, you cannot do it alone. From a phrase in a book, a quote at a meeting, a suggestion at the coffee pot, we all need help in our daily lives.
This site is a collection of sayings gathered in one place to help us remember and pass along what has been so freely given to us.
Join us, add to us, declare your favorite quotes, Welcome to RecoveryQuotes.org
Recovery Quote of the Day-
“Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for - Marion Wright Edelman”
Thursday - September 22, 2022
How to Support a Loved One Through Addiction Recovery
Watching a loved one struggle through the rehabilitation process can be a difficult thing. You may feel at a loss, unsure as to how you can help. Fortunately, you don’t need to be a trained professional to support a person through the more...
Guide to Smashing Through an Alcohol Detox:
This guide outlines the basic steps involved in an alcohol detox.
Yesterdays Recovery Quotes
- Happiness is not a station we arrive at; it’s a way of traveling.
- It's OK to look back at the past, just don't stare at it.
- I need to keep it simple, but I don't
- Happiness is not a station we arrive at; it’s a way of traveling
- I have a way to live that fills every hole my gut ever had
- Are you finally ready to let go and live your destiny?
- I feel bad for drowning the little girl inside me.
- I get addicted to anything I have tried twice and liked.
- Left to my own devices I will think its OK to drink again.
- I struggle with the thoughts in my head.
- Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be
- I thirst for spiritual milk
- What's born in the darkness shrivel's in the light.
- You can't fix what you cannot face.
- Not to change is not to adapt; not to adapt is to become extinct
- Life moves on whether you are a part of it or not.
- I realized I liked being alive the closer to death I got.
- Tell me who you hang with and I will tell you who you are.
- Fear is an incompetent teacher
- Forgiveness has healed my soul
- In recovery, it’s not our feelings that matter; it’s our actions.
- If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy
- You have to let yourself be happy!
- What you do speaks louder than what you say!
- If you look for comfort you will never find truth
- I am all of my family before me.
- We work; we struggle; we will survive.
- You will forget what I say to you, but you will never forget what I do for you.
- You cannot fix feelings with feelings.
- Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future
- You can never get enough of what you don't really want.
- I have mixed drinks about feelings.
- Tragedy is a test of courage.
- Expect nothing and you will enjoy everything.
- Are you willing to be amazed?
- Sobriety is a constant process of uncovering, discovering, and discarding.
- The only way I ever found to displace a thought was to put another thought in its stead.
- I do not stand by in the presence of evil!
- It's not to good to be ture, it's just more than i'm used to.
- If your not failing at something then your not trying hard enough!
- We would rather be ruined than change!
- I live simply so that others may simply live.
- The human species is a parade of fools and I am often at the head of it.
- I try to learn from my critics, often they are my best teachers
- God will not have his work made manifest by cowards. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- When you deny your vulnerability you become less attractive.
- I ask God for one good humiliation a day and then notice how i react to it...
- I am thankful to God for all that I have, and for all that I don't have.
- Sometimes I wonder if this illness isn't a gift rather than a problem.
- Life is travel -- enjoy the journey, bumpy roads and all.
- We are called to unity, not uniformity.
- If it were not for the 'we' of 12 step programs, there would be no 'I.
- The only way to get on your feet is to get off your butt.
- A real leader always speaks the truth, even to their own detriment
- I know what will happen if I drink,...I don't know what will happen if I don't
- It feels good to be trusted.
- It's a waste of time to take God's inventory.
- What we practice is what we become
- What matters is what works, not my opinion of what works
- Nothing improves if I drink
- Only the sharing of despair can bring us ... illumination.
- What we will be tomorrow is determined by what we think today.
- My life was more than unmanageable, it was illegal.
- Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
- I hate humans, but i am a really big social person
- If faith without works is dead, willingness without action is fantasy.
- My desire to drink became a desire not to.
- Coincidences are merely a manner in which God protects his anonymity.
- Success and failure share a common denominator,...both are tempoarary.
- Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want
- What I feel is not a fact, but it is a fact that I feel
- I do not have a drinking problem any more, but I do have a living problem
- Do not take your spiritual temperature with an emotional thermometer.
- To be teachable, i had to be reachable
- Times change, addiction doesn't
- God will change you without your permission
- I didn't have to get high and die
- Know God, Know Peace,....No God, No Peace!
- I learned that if I had the capacity to be honest, I would get better.
- Trust in a Higher Power, Clean House, Help Others
- Recovery is the first thing in my life that has really worked
- You lie to yourself long before you lie to anyone else.
- Now that my spiritual eyes have begun to open, the world is much fuller.
- Change is scary, even if it promises a better life
- Teamwork makes the Dream Work!
- Addiction put me on an endless dead end road
- Happiness is not perfected until it is shared
- God, please get in my head today before i do
- I'm not where i wanna be, but i'm not where I used to be!
- Everything you want is on the other side of FEAR
- I know how they felt because I felt that way about myself
- My thinking couldn't fix my thinking
- I need to act like i have done some steps...
- When the horse is dead, get off!!
- I don't have to take your inventory, you will show it to me anyway!!
- It's not our enemies that defeat us, it is our fear.
- Yesterday is History, and tomorrow is a Mystery
- Joy comes from living the way my conscience tells me to live
- Love yourself the same way you want someone else to love you
- Screw the baby steps, jump in and stay in!
- It's the routine that's killing you!
- Fantasy was my first addiction
- There is a crack in everything, that's where the light gets in.
- The best way out is always through - Robert Frost
- I cannot wait around for someone else to decide my life for me.
- The only thing keeping you from being happy is the belief that you are alone.
- I don't have enough information to know if it's good or bad for me!
- We'll ALL be OK because we already are!
- Am I in the cycle of Recovery, or the cycle of ADDICTION??
- Once you know better, you are RESPONSIBLE to do better
- Control is impossible the moment it is suggested!
- My story is SUFFICIENT
- God allowed this to happen ON purpose, but it was FOR a purpose!
- Nobody has to understand what I understand, it's not up for debate
- Between now and DEAD, I AM the architect
- You didn't Cause it, you cannot Control it, and you can't Cure it!
- Anything is possible until your heart stops beating
- Jealousy is not a sign of Love, it is a sign of insecurity
- We prove ours fears true all the time, Dr. Laura
- There are only 2 ways out of pain, make a decision, take an action
- Let it hurt, then let it go
- We can never re-capture the rapture, but we can regain the pain
- If we fail to 'repair', we can only impair
- My life goal is not to be happy, it is to be useful
- Your bottom is when you decide to stop digging
- When we see our uniqueness as a virtue, only then do we find peace
- Everybody needs a witness to their life
- The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time - James Taylor
- We suffer more often in imagination than in reality - Seneca
- Easy Choices, Hard Life - Hard Choices, Easy Life
- People like you when you are interested in them
- Forgiveness cannot change the past, but it can change the future
- I cannot control the wind, but i can adjust my sails
- Suffering is in the resistence to what is
- Do what you need to do, not what you want to do - Ida Keeling 100 years old
- A man grows with the greatness of his task
- If you don't share your history, your recovery will be a mystery
- Be the change you want to see in the world - Ghandi
- The past is an enormous place with all sorts of things inside
- I was treating my friends like the clean up crew
- If i do something perfectly, it was by mistake
- It's human nature to run from pain
- Happiness is a moment, not a state of being
- God will put in my path what i need, not what i think i want
- Self Esteem comes from impressing yourself
- I give up, i want to be available for tomorrow
- Alcoholics and addicts either fix themselves, or they don't get fixed
- God never misses a meeting
- Those that have been hurt the most often have the greatest ability to heal
- I had to remember to make amends to myself during my 9th step
- Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose - Yoda
- I constantly live in fear of the wreckage of my future
- We are all broken,...that's how the light gets in
- Relapse is part of addiction, it is not a part of recovery
- Some of the best gifts come in the worst wrapping paper
- Anything you put before recovery you will lose
- I'm not everybody's cup of tea, that's why they make coffee
- A grateful addict will not use
- Existence can be beutiful or ugly, but that's on you
- Life is easier when your numb
- I'm very proud of my humility
- A man wishing to be unhappy will find many ways to prove his course
- You matter because you are you, you matter to the last moment of your life
- Dedicate your life to the thing you Love more than yourself
- Dear Lord let me laugh today, but don't let me forget how I cried
- I stopped making my life recovery, and started making recovery my life
- I bring the message to the prison, so that i don't have to go to prison.
- You have to get through the mess to get to the message
- Turn the stumbling block in to a stepping stone - Bruce Lee
- The more I learn the more I need to learn
- I live my life in constant fear of an uncertain future
- I need to stop putting a question mark where God has put a period
- I am a man of deep abiding faith that comes and goes
- My Will are my thoughts, My Actions are my life.
- When we Love, we will see in others what we want to see in ourselves
- Life is the shit that happens while your waiting for moments that never come
- Patience is slowing down to someone else's speed
- You have to meet people where they are, not where you want them to be
- When I feel "OK" with myself I tend not to want to take a drink
- We do not lead others in to the light by stepping in to the darkness with them
- Just because were here doesn't mean were all there
- My fellowship may or may not get me to Heaven, but it sure got me out of hell
- There is no comfort in the growth zone, and no growth in the comfort zone
- Do the right thing, it will gratify some people, and astonish the rest
- Get the facts first, then you can distort them if you please
- You can't move forward if your still hanging on
- We don't give advice, we give suggestions based on experience
- Forget 'Keep coming back', and just stay with us
- Just because your having a bad day doesn't mean your having a bad life
- Don't count the days, make the days count
- The bottom started falling out faster than I could lower my standards
- Always do your best, what you plant now, you will harvest later - Og Mandino
- Life is really simple, but we isist on making it complicated - Confucius
- Make a habit of two things, to help, or at least do no harm - Hippocrates
- Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can - Arthur Ashe
- My life is full of disasters, most of which didn't happen
- Hope is a talent like any other - Storm Jameson
- Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
- When the student is ready, the teacher will appear
- My head is a bad neighborhood to be by myself in
- Growing old is natural, growing up is spiritual
- You can't stay sober today on yesterday's sobriety
- The moment I take control is when I lose control
- It's OK to look back at your life, just don't STARE at it.
- God helps those who help themselves, do nothing, and nothing will happen
- When you speak, talk to the newcomer, don't try to impress the old timer
- I went to a party when I was 15 and didn't go home until I was 50
- I work 5 days a week, mostly on Saturdays
- If you judge the messenger, you won't listen to the message
- You don't have to live in the past, just remember the past
- When do people start to live?.... When they face death...
- I didn't get here because I saw the light, i got here because I felt the heat
- Fear knocked at the door, faith answered, and no one was there
- Seven days without a meeting makes one weak
- I didn't think much of myself in the past, but I thought about myself all the time
- Would you like to be right, or happy
- If you are on the wrong road God allows U-Turns
- The important things are not things
- The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
- Anger is only a symptom of what is really going on
- What everyone thinks of me is none of my business
- Every new day is another chance to change your life
- I'm recovering, that's my little fact
- Don't believe everything you think
- Turn your face to the sun and the shadows will fall behind you
- Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life
- Stay strong, recovery is possible
- Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase
- To put everything in balance is good, to put everything in harmony is better
- The past is seldom as we would have it
- Honor the path of others
- Expectations are the first step of a resentment
- The secret to success is found in your daily routine - John Maxwell
- I was running from myself, the problem was I was taking myself with me
- Everyone needs a higher power, because people will let you down
- Addiction is the only prison where the locks are on the inside
- Recovery takes time, and time takes time
- I wasn't a bad person doing bad things, I was a sick person doing sick things
- Addiction is bound up in the creative mind
- Don't drink and go to meetings
- If you don't drink, you won't get drunk
- Faith, it does not make things easy, it makes them possible
- I rarely have a conversation with myself that I disagree with
- One day at a time
- Let go or be dragged
- Fall down seven times, stand up eight
- You are not what you've done, you are what you have overcome
- The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude
- Keep it simple
- Easy does it
- Tough times don't last, tough people do
- Self Love
- I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, i'm telling you it's going to be worth it
- Leave scales to the fish
- Sometimes I just gotta let it go and say to hell with it and move on
- Become who you are
- You are beautiful
- Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny
- Don't let the fear of relapsing keep you from recovery
- Never stop fighting
- Real recovery is a complete lifestyle change
- Breathe in joy and strength, breathe out wisdom and peace
- I'm gonna make the rest of my life, the best of my life
- Dear God, I know i'm not perfect, but thanks for loving me anyway
- I am in repair, i'm not together, but i'm getting there
- Recovery is the bridge between who you were and who you are
- And what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us
- If you only walk on sunny days, you will never reach your destination
- Sometimes you have to be your own hero
- Keep calm and carry the message
- The past can hurt, but you can either run from it, or, learn from it
- I knew nothing about nothing, and thought I knew everything about everything
- Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly
- Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching
- Walking in the sunlight of the spirit
- I never came out of blackout happy, joyous and free
- When my butt is on a barstool I know everything about everything
- No matter what - you don't have to pick up.
- Until the pain gets strong enough, there will be no change
- It came to pass; it didn't come to stay
- May your lost dreams of yesterday become the reality of your tomorrow
- Hit your knees,.....not the bottle
- I can't fix anyone but me, and that's a full time job
- Recovery is an inside job
- Just for today
- Think Think Think
- First things first
- How important is it
- Keep an open mind
- Live and let live
- Have an attitude of gratitude
- Mind your own business
- Progress not perfection
- Change the things I can
- Drunk says - Look Mom, i'm 19 years sober. Mom says - so is the cat.
- Wonderful things happen one day at a time
- Listen and learn
- Let go and let God
- This too shall pass
- Great expectations can lead to great disappointments
- If it is to be, it is up to me
- If you think handling everything is too much, try letting go
- Fear is a darkroom where negatives are developed
- Take what you like and leave the rest
- Measure yourself by your best moments not your worst
- Remember yesterday, dream of tomorrow, but live for today
- The longest journey starts with the first step
- Recovery is a process, not an event-it takes time
- You must be present to win
- Each new day offers a new opportunity
- One hour at a time,..one day at a time,..one step at a time
- It's alcohol-ISM, not alcohol-WASM
- A.A. also stands for,...Attitude Adjustment
- I can only carry the message, I can"t carry the drunk
- Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get
- It's never to late to be what you might have been
- There ain't no big deals
- If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got
- If you keep doin' what your doin', you'll keep gettin' what your gettin'
- Looking for God is like a fish looking for water
- Listen to the message,..not the messenger
- Feel, Deal and the Heal,..(Feel it, Deal with it and then Heal from it)
- Hope is knowing the good in us will overcome the bad
- Happy, Joyous & Free
- God speaks to us all a little differently, hoping we'll tell each other
- Even if I'm on the right track, if I don't move I'll get run over
- Don't give up five minutes before the miracle
- Do not be discouraged
- Don't take everything personally
- When you feel left out, reach out
- Have patience with all things, but first with yourself
- Serenity comes when I stop expecting and start accepting
- Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday
- Glance at the past, but don't stare at it
- Wherever you go- there you are
- To live or just exist- the choice is yours
- Focus on the program-not the problem
- One needn't make a crisis out of an incident
- When you're flat on your back, there's no way to look but up
- As you go through life, make this your goal- watch the donut not the hole
- No is a complete sentence
- It's hard to be hateful when you're being grateful
- Ulcers are what you get from mountain climbing on mole hills
- If you find yourself in a rut, stop digging
- The way to get anywhere is to start from where you are
- If you want serenity, put your Higher Power between you & your problem
- Expectations are premeditated resentments
- The main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing
- I may not be there yet, but i'm closer than I was yesterday
- A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ship's are for
- If your going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
- The fool didn't know it wasn't possible, so he did it
- The only failure is inaction, the rest is trial and error
- No one is to busy in this world, it's all about priorities
- No one can hurt you without your permission
- You never know the truth, you know a truth
- Be yourself, everyone else is already taken - Oscar Wilde
- Whether you think you can or can't, either way you're right - Henry Ford
- If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
- Be the person your dog thinks you are - JW Stephens
- I know for sure, what we dwell on is who we become - Oprah Winfrey
- Death ends a life, not a relationship - Mitch Albom
- Better to get hurt by the truth, than comforted with a lie - Khaled Hosseini
- Do I not destory my enemies by making them my friends - Abraham Lincoln
- Luck is the residue of design - John Milton
Walking the path of Recovery...
If you would like to submit anything please email me at SickRick@RecoveryQuotes.org
Please notify me of any duplicate entries or errors you may find.
It is my intention to update the "Quote of the Day" everyday, and put that quote tomorrow on top of the list to the left so that the list does not become stagnant and continues to roll and change everyday.
Keep coming back, if you have any suggestions please email me.
ACoA - Adult Children of Alcoholics
Al-Anon/Alateen - Families affected by Alcohol
CoDA - Co-Dependents Anonymous
CoSA - Co-Dependents of Sex Addicts
GAM-ANON - Families affected by Gambling
NAR-ANON - Families affected by Addicts
OLGA - On-Line Gamers Anonymous
SCA - Sexual Compulsives Anonymous
SIA - Survivors of Incest Anonymous
SLAA - Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous
SRA - Sexual Recovery Anonymous
Mental Health, Addiction, Education-
Schizophrenia and Addiction: The Guide to Unraveling Comorbidity and Finding the Path to Recovery
Bipolar Disorder and Addiction
Swim Back to Health: The Guide to Aquatic Therapy for Recovering Addicts
Making the Connection: Trauma and Substance Abuse
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse: Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment
How Service and Therapy Dogs are Helping PTSD Victims
National Institute on Drug Abuse
CDC - Center for Disease Control
Listen to Recovery Stories-
On-Line / Phone Meetings-
NA - Recovery - Online meetings
Women for Sobriety's Official Blog
Find a Treatment Center-
National Institute on Drug Abuse
NCADD - National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
Plagiarism or copyright infringement is not my intention within this site, if you feel credit has not been duely given please contact me and I will try to verify your claim and give the appropriate credit at the end of the quote. If an arraingment cannot be made by giving credit, then taking down the quote will be considered.
This site is not affiliated with any 12 step program or adddiction treatment center, it is fully privately funded and accepts no contributions or donations.